Contact us



Travel Care and Support Service - Home to Schoool Transport


Some children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities may find it difficult to travel to school or college without the help of the local authority. 

All local authorities have a statutory duty to provide travel assistance for all eligible children aged between 5-16 years.

Parents or carers wishing to apply for home to school travel assistance must complete the home to school travel assistance application form at least 14 days in advance of their child or young person's expected start date at school.

SEN travel assistance Post-16

SEN travel assistance is discretionary at Post-16 and subject to assessment. The local authority will provide assistance with travel to post-16 education or training courses (including apprenticeships and traineeships), when it considers it necessary to facilitate a learner’s participation in education


What to do if you are unhappy about a Transport Assistance decision

All local authorities have to provide information on how to appeal a transport assistance decision with their published Home to School Transport Assistance policy.  


You can find the Home to School Travel Assistance Policy on the local authority's Local Offer website: